The term “tonneau” is a French-derived word that describes the back opening of a vehicle. Its history refers to the vintage car rear opening or compartment designed for passengers.
Today, a tonneau cover for trucks sits over the rear opening bed of a truck. Tonneau covers are available in hard and soft features.
Types of Tonneau Covers
Tonneau cover technology provides coverings that include folding, roll-ups, one-piece, retractable, or one customized piece. Tonneau covers can be designed to fit any type of truck bed in a variety of colors, materials, size, and coated frames to be weather resistant.
Examples of tonneau cover design models include the following:
- Tyger Auto T3 Soft Cover
- Durable heavy-duty aluminum powder-coated frames
- Easy to install. Drilling is not required
- Folds up for easy access to your truck bed
- Features an easy to install clamping system. This is to ensure a snug fit over the truck bed to protect your cargo from weather elements
- TruXedo TruXport Hard Cover 256001
- Conveniently installs with hook and loop system
- Features pre-set tension control to keep the bed cover fastened at all times
- Features an integrated latching system to keep the cover fastened during bad weather
- Tyger Auto Hard Cover TG-BC3F1041
- Sliding cover with a ratchet-style lock-lever
- Pull strap allows you to manually close the cover until it locks in place
- Features long-lasting stainless steel clamps
- Roll-N-Lock LG221M Soft Cover
- Cover is rigidly constructed from vinyl fabric and aluminum
- A lock-lever system that turns to allow the cover to slide upward
- It comes with a built-in pull strap that you can pull to close the cover due to a ratchet-style locking system
- UnderCover FX41007 Soft Cover
- Features a soft roll-up cover
- Flexible features that allow the cover to fold up to a 90 angle, built-in prop rods that keep the cover open as you drive, and it folds up totally over the tonneau of your truck
The difference between a soft or hardcover tonneau is based on what your needs are. A tonneau’s cover is designed to protect the truck bed and your cargo. Also, tri fold tonneau covers for truck are designed to provide your truck with an aerodynamical design feature.
Scientifically this feature, allows air to slide off the cover rather than creating a drag, which will save you fuel costs.
Soft tonneau covers are commonly made from sturdy materials that include vinyl, canvas, or leather. The soft covers feature aluminum frames, plus they are less expensive than hard tonneau covers. Soft bed covers are lightweight, yet sturdy and are easier to install and operate.
Hard tonneau covers are usually made from synthetic fiberglass, hardened plastics like ABS and polypropylene, or metals like aluminum. They are designed to be durable enough to keep your cargo safe from harsh weather for a long time. You can also haul objects that have sharp edges or that are pretty heavy.